The Food Issue Family

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Do you smell that? Yeah, THAT.

     out.  You see, I don't eat dairy or gluten because it's a fad or a gimmick to loose weight. I LOVED cheese, I LOVED a warm piece of sour dough bread, or rye bread with some melt butter on it, or even better: melted CHEESE.
This post isn't going to be full of information that I've sourced from "reputable" resources. I really don't care of about that at the moment. I just had to get this
   
     I frequently mention casein addiction (it's real, look it up, I am proof) or super sensitivities to lactose or casein or any of part of the dairy that we as humans weren't even designed to consume (google it, I'm not writing about it, you'll find lots of info).  Going out almost anywhere to eat is difficult for our family, for many reason but this post is specifically about ME. About WHY I am slightly fearful to attend a leadership retreat with my friend and Coach in a few weeks. One where there are going to be some awesome, amazing, successful people who can help mold and shape me into the leader I wish to come. Below is WHY…

     I could tolerate dairy growing up. Actually, I just lied (whoopsie). As an infant I could NOT tolerate dairy and was on soy formula (ew).  At some point in my youth I was given dairy and seemed to tolerate it ok, but in realty I never did.  I won't go into the long list of side effects like eczema, diarrhea, acid reflux, stomach pains, or behavior issues (to name a few) that I suffered with growing up and into my later 20's.  I want to focus on the side effect I'm having NOW, and let me tell you it really, really, really stinks.

     I just felt the urge to put this out there: I stink and it SUCKS.  This side effect is a relatively new one for me in the 33 years I have been on this planet.  As you age, and eat your way through life, enzymes in your body are being used up. At some point I used up all the ones I needed to maintain any digestion of dairy. I'm not getting into the science of it now, but seriously, you should google that too.

     In February of 2012 I got gas.  The problem was it never went away. For months and months I had this gas. I even flew on an airplane for 6 hours with two small children and feared it. It took some time, trial and error, and lots of research, to figure out my problem was dairy (and gluten).

      I am rather diligent in my avoidance of dairy, I wish I didn't have to be so badly, but the outcome of me NOT being that way is a horrid smell that lingers like the smell of a freshly tarred road on top of seriously rotten hard boiled eggs. The hard boiled eggs thing was what my son calls it. The poor boy has come in to the room and ran out countless times screaming as his nostrils were accosted with the stench.  No, these are not the kind of farts that any human can hold in. I've tried and magically they escape, seeping into the air and reeking havoc on any nose within a mile radious. On top of smelling horrid, my stomach usually hurts with gas pains. I don't generally announce that I have horrible death like gas that will make a grown man cry and want to vomit. I would just say "Oh I can't eat dairy, I can't digest it" or something vague.

     This gas has become so much of a sign of my digestive issue that even my husband and children have started to relate it to something I've eaten. Accept, this week I had NO dairy. So what is the problem? Oh, yeah, dairy is hidden just about everywhere (which I knew) but I NEVER thought to look at my generic allergy medicine (the Costco version of Allegra), there is an inactive ingredient made from a milk sugar, and that one tiny bit of diary has caused the last 3 days of THIS torture.

     Most people just figure how they are feeling is part of their aging process. I disagree. If you mean to tell me a 21 year old on acid reflux medicine is normal, then we clearly don't live on the same planet.  That having gas that bangs on your lower abdomen like there's a 6 month old baby in there trying to escape like some kind of alien is normal, again, you live on some other planet then I do.

     You live on the planet I use to live on. The one that thought it was ok to chug Mylanta three times a day because of stomach pain. The one that thought being bloated and overweight was just a part of getting older. The one that thought…well you get my point.

      If you aren't someone who thinks NONE of your medical issues or discomforts come from food, and you have learned (one way or another) that everything you put into your mouth effects your body THROUGH your colon, this message is dedicated to you. As well as: Hi, my name is Rachel and we officially inhabit the same planet. Looks like I need to do another 3 Day Refresh to clean my body out of the undigestible dairy product, before my family leaves me on the side of the road somewhere in a field. But if not, lets hope there's a strong breeze that day because even I can't stand to be around this!


No comments:

Post a Comment