The Food Issue Family

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

DIY Metal Swing Set Rachel Re-Does It

I recently had the urge to head out to the thrift store, though I never made it that day. On my way I ran into a metal swing set put on the front lawn of a house with a big ole "FREE" sign attached to it.
PUT ON THE BRAKES! 
Reverse. 
Walk up to the little old lady sitting out front and say "Can I have your swing set?" 
She was SOOO happy someone was taking it.  You see, it was her 85th Birthday that afternoon and her husband was coming back to pick her up to bring her to her family BBQ to celebrate.  That swing set was in their yard for countless years and used by all of h
er grandkids who were now grown and they didn't need it anymore. She (and her husband) was so pleased that two little people were going to be very happy and surprised when Mommy brought it home. I'm very grateful for the kind people who put this out, rather then tossing it in the dumpster. 

When it comes to re-doing a metal swing set, depending on it's condition, it can be much more work, take much more time and much more money then it would cost to go buy a new one for $150.00 at the local department store. This one is particular had some pretty good rust damage going, but was stable and would last for at least the next year without any issue. To me, the work I was choosing to put in was worth it. 
I did NOT sand down all of the rust. It would not be worth the effort. I chose to do a power washed, let it dry and do a fresh coat (or two) of spray paint and replace some of the rusty screws. It took quite a few hours, but overall the cost was just about $36.00 in paint and screws. That was worth the smiles from my kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment