The Food Issue Family

Monday, April 14, 2014

I have gained 12 pounds! SAY WHAT?!!! Oh heck no!

I have gained 12 pounds. No it's not a typo. It's not one of those silly Facebook games where you have to post something off of a list just for commenting. It's the truth. I haven't wanted to face it for a while. Just six weeks ago I was wearing jeans from college and now, I don't know WHAT to cover myself with.  Why did I gain 12 pounds? It wasn't because I didn't workout. It wasn't because I over ate and consumed thousands of calories a day. It's because of three medical reasons, that I live with every single day, that took control.  The first and for-most villain is Post Part-um Depression. 

Yes, I know my daughter is two and a half, but what you may or may not know, is that I have been treated for Post Part-um this entire time. Not because the Dr's thought I needed the medicine anymore, but because the withdrawal symptoms are so severe they refused to let me off of it. Why not, that sounds like craziness right? Because my husband's job took us 3000 miles from family and he was at risk for having to leave with a few hours notice for up to 45 days.  It's just not a good idea to go through that kind of withdrawal when you have the potential for being the only parent around to care for your two small children.  So I waited. I waited years to get off of Effexor. Finally the time had come. 

Not sure how much you know about Effexor, but google it. It's horrible. Withdrawal was comparable (from what I've read) to getting off of crack cocaine. I was in bed for days. Unable to move, having the full body shakes, vertigo, vomiting and those are just the side effects I can type about.  Could this have been worth getting treated for? Part of me wonders if I could have just avoided it all together. But the fact is that I couldn't have avoided it. I know what it feels like to have post part-um depression and the feelings that go with it. I never wanted to feel that way again.  No matter what. 

Now is when the "no matter what" comes around.  I've since been put on a medication called Lexapro to get me "through the withdrawal" from the Effexor.  The last few months have been challenging. Especially when I have worked hard and committed my life to improving my health and fitness as well as inspiring those around me. To have gained back 12 pounds of weight because my body is taking control feels un-acceptible to me. I am not 100% sure how to handle it. All I can do is continue to eat healthy, continue to BE healthy and get up and press play…What's your excuse?  

No comments:

Post a Comment